Enrollment in the TRICARE Dental Program (TDP) is quick and easy. Please remember that only sponsors, or an individual with a valid Power of Attorney (POA), can enroll active duty family members in the TDP. The sponsor's current military status may affect the enrollment options for them and/or their family. Sponsor's can enroll through the milConnect website using your DS Logon.
TRICARE Enrollment Options
- TRICARE enrollment in the TDP can be obtained through a single or family plan.
- National Guard and Reserve sponsors are only eligible to enroll under a single plan.
- National Guard and Reserve family members can enroll under a separate single or family plan.
TRICARE Enrollment | Single Plan
- One active duty family member (ADFM)
- One National Guard or Reserve family member
- One National Guard or Reserve sponsor
If the National Guard or Reserve sponsor chooses to enroll along with a family member(s), the sponsor will receive one bill with separate premium amounts for each enrollment plan—one for the sponsor’s single plan and one for the family member’s single or family plan.
TRICARE Enrollment | Family Plan
A family plan is defined as two or more covered family members.
Under the TDP family plan, if one family member is enrolled, all eligible family members must be enrolled, except in the following situations:
- Children under age 1. If enrolled a family plan, children will be automatically enrolled on the family plan on the first day of the month after they reach age 1.
- Family members living in two or more locations
- Family members who need special medical attention in a hospital or treatment center (documentation is required)
- National Guard and Reserve sponsors must enroll independently of their family members. Also, National Guard and Reserve sponsors can enroll their family members and not themselves.
Note: Family members cannot be enrolled under two TDP contracts. Two sponsors cannot enroll the same family member(s).
TRICARE Enrollment Period
All beneficiaries must remain enrolled in the TDP for at least 12 months, unless the termination of enrollment request qualifies as an exception. After completing the 12-month minimum-enrollment period, enrollment may be continued on a month-to-month basis until the sponsor makes an enrollment termination request.
Sponsors who fail to pay premiums while still in the initial 12-month lock-in period will be locked out for 12 months before they can request reenrollment.
When Coverage Begins
When the sponsor submits their TRICARE Dental Program enrollment through milConnect* or by submitting Enrollment Form, United Concordia will:
- Determine eligibility
- Ensure the premium payment is correct
- Process the enrollment
- Contact the sponsor with any questions (if needed)
If theTRICARE enrollment is processed…
- By the 20th of the month, coverage will start on the first day of the next month
- After the 20th of the month, coverage coverage will start on the first day of the second month
The sponsor will receive a TRICARE Dental Program ID Card that shows your start date. This card must be shown during each visit with the dentist. If any dental care is provided before the start date, the future enrollee will have to pay for the full cost of care.
* Note that enrolling online through milConnect will expedite enrollment.
How to Enroll in the TRICARE Dental Program
There are three convenient ways to enroll in the TDP. These processes can also be used to change/add/delete enrollments.
- Visit https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/ and sign in to submit an online enrollment form
- CONUS: 844-653-4061
- OCONUS: 844-653-4060 (get the AT&T access codes here)
- Download the TDP Enrollment Authorization document (coming soon...)
- Mail the completed TDP Enrollment Authorization document along with the initial premium payment (check, money order, or credit card authorization) to: United Concordia
TRICARE Dental Program
P.O. Box 645547
Pittsburgh, PA 15264-5253
Events Affecting Your TRICARE Enrollment
There are a variety of occasions where the sponsor may want to add a family member to the TDP, including:
- Adoption (pre-adoptive and finalized adoption as reflected in DEERS)
- Stepchild or court-ordered ward newly eligible for TDP
- Child added before turning age 1
There are also reasons for removing a family member from the TDP, such as:
- Divorce—there is no former spouse coverage for this program
- Loss of child’s eligibility when he or she marries or turns 21 or 23 if enrolled in a full-time course of study at an approved institution of higher learning, and if the sponsor provides over 50 percent of the financial support
Please note that termination of enrollment from the TDP is dependent upon meeting the12-month initial enrollment period or having a valid reason to terminate enrollment. (For a list of valid reasons to terminate enrollment, see the online TDP Handbook.)