Enrollment in the TRICARE Dental Program (TDP) is quick and easy. Please remember that only sponsors, or an individual with a valid Power of Attorney (POA), can enroll active duty family members in the TDP. Your current military status may affect the enrollment options for you and/or your family. You can enroll through the Beneficiary Web Enrollment (BWE) website using your DS Logon.
Enrollment Freeze March 3-5
- Enrollment in the TDP can be obtained through a single or family plan.
- National Guard and Reserve sponsors are only eligible to enroll under a single plan.
- National Guard and Reserve family members can enroll under a separate single or family plan.
- One active duty family member (ADFM)
- One National Guard or Reserve family member
- One National Guard or Reserve sponsor
If the National Guard or Reserve sponsor chooses to enroll along with a family member(s), the sponsor will receive one bill with separate premium amounts for each enrollment plan—one for the sponsor’s single plan and one for the family member’s single or family plan.
A family plan is defined as two or more covered family members.
Under the TDP family plan, if one family member is enrolled, all eligible family members must be enrolled, except in the following situations:
- Children under age 1. If you have a family plan, your children will be automatically enrolled on the family plan on the first day of the month after they reach age 1.
- Family members living in two or more locations
- Family members who need special medical attention in a hospital or treatment center (You must have documentation)
- National Guard and Reserve sponsors must enroll independently of their family members. Also, National Guard and Reserve sponsors can enroll their family members and not themselves.
Note: Beneficiaries cannot be enrolled under two TDP contracts. Two sponsors cannot enroll the same family member(s).
All beneficiaries must remain enrolled in the TDP for at least 12 months, unless the termination of enrollment request qualifies as an exception. After completing the 12-month minimum-enrollment period, enrollment may be continued on a month-to-month basis until the sponsor makes an enrollment termination request.
Sponsors who fail to pay premiums while still in the initial 12-month lock-in period will be locked out for 12 months before they can request reenrollment.
When Coverage Begins
When you submit your TRICARE Dental Program enrollment through BWE* or by submitting Enrollment Form, United Concordia will:
- Determine if you are eligible
- Check that your premium payment is correct
- Process your enrollment
- Contact you if there are any problems
If your enrollment is processed…
- By the 20th of the month, your coverage starts on the first day of the next month
- After the 20th of the month, your coverage starts on the first day of the second month
You’ll receive a TRICARE Dental Program ID Card that shows your start date. You must show this card each time you visit the dentist. If you get any dental care before your start date, you will have to pay for the full cost of your care.
* Note that enrolling online through BWE will expedite your enrollment.
Enrolling in the TDP
There are three convenient ways to enroll in the TDP. These processes can also be used to change/add/delete enrollments.
- Visit www.tricare.mil/bwe to access the BWE portal
- CONUS: 844-653-4061
- OCONUS: 844-653-4060 (get the AT&T access codes here)
- Download the TDP Enrollment Authorization document (coming soon...)
- Mail the completed TDP Enrollment Authorization document along with the initial premium payment (check, money order, or credit card authorization) to: United Concordia
TRICARE Dental Program
P.O. Box 645547
Pittsburgh, PA 15264-5253
Events Affecting Your Enrollment
There are a variety of occasions where you may want to add a family member to the TDP, including:
- Adoption (pre-adoptive and finalized adoption as reflected in DEERS)
- Stepchild or court-ordered ward newly eligible for TDP
- Child added before turning age 1
There are also reasons for removing a family member from the TDP, such as:
- Divorce—there is no former spouse coverage for this program
- Loss of child’s eligibility when he or she marries or turns 21 or 23 if enrolled in a full-time course of study at an approved institution of higher learning, and if the sponsor provides over 50 percent of the financial support
Please note that termination of enrollment from the TDP is dependent upon meeting your 12-month initial enrollment period or having a valid reason to terminate enrollment. (For a list of valid reasons to terminate enrollment, see the online benefits booklet.)