Practice optimal oral hygiene at home
During pregnancy or any stage of life, preventive dental care starts at home.
- Brush your teeth 2-3 times per day, especially after meals and before bed. Use fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Floss daily – Be gentle on any tender areas. Hormones and increased blood volume may cause gums to be more sensitive, but you should not discontinue your flossing routine.
- Rinse throughout the day – Drinking water can help you stay hydrated as well as rinse away plaque-causing bacteria and food particles. It’s especially important to rinse immediately after snacking or consuming beverages other than water.
- Control plaque – Since pregnancy can compromise the immune system, you may need extra support to prevent the buildup of plaque, which can contribute to cavities and gum disease if not effectively cleaned from the teeth. If brushing, flossing and rinsing aren’t fully controlling plaque, your dentist may recommend an antimicrobial rinse.
- Combat the effects morning sickness – If you experience morning sickness, do not brush your teeth immediately after, as it can weaken the enamel of your teeth. To clean and protect your mouth after getting sick, rinse with a mixture of one teaspoon baking soda and one cup water.
- Eat healthy – Focus on eating a complete and balanced diet as recommended by your physician and/or dentist. Limit sweets and processed carbohydrates, which are known to contribute to tooth decay.
The TRICARE Dental Program has you covered
The TRICARE Dental Program (TDP) can help with members’ oral health. Enrollees are covered for two routine dental cleanings in a consecutive 12-month period.
If you or an enrolled family member are pregnant, the TDP Wellness Program is available to provide an additional cleaning at no cost to you. Getting the proper dental care will have a positive effect on your overall wellness as scientists continue to uncover connections between certain chronic conditions and gum disease.
Register to use TDP Wellness Program any time after your TDP effective date of coverage. Here’s how:
Select the red "Log in to My Account" button at the top of this page and log in using your DS Logon
Select “Manage My Wellness”
- Add your medical condition