Caring for a cracked tooth
Teeth might fracture or break for a number of reasons, including:
- Accident or injury
- Tooth decay
- Chewing on hard foods (such as ice or candy)
- Grinding your teeth
- Loss of stability due to large fillings or wear
A fractured or cracked tooth might or might not hurt, depending on nerve exposure. Either way, here is how to take care of your broken tooth until you can see a dentist:
- Rinse your mouth with warm water to clean the area surrounding the affected tooth.
- Apply a cold compress to reduce swelling.
- Contact a dentist immediately. You can find a TRICARE Dental Program (TDP) dentist with United Concordia’s online dental network provider-search tool.
The TRICARE Dental Program (TDP) has you covered